Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Fencing of Mau Forest to cost Sh40m
Welcome News from Kenya
The Government is seeking Sh40 million to erect a fence and prevent further destruction of Mau Forest.
Environment minister John Michuki said on Tuesday that the 40 kilometre stretch would run along the original boundary of the forest marked in the 1980s.
The fencing, the minister added, would start after 1,962 of the people now living in the controversial forest have been settled elsewhere.
Others in the area have been given notice to leave since the Government had only identified the 1,962 as bona fide land owners.
“We shall use recycled plastic posts to fence the land. No trees will be felled in that forest,” said Mr Michuki.
The minister also said that representatives of Rhino Charge, which has been fencing the Aberdares Forest, had met ministry officials on Wednesday last week and discussed the new project.